Thursday, July 19, 2012

What I Wouldn't Give...

to own my own home right now.

Have you ever had so many creative thoughts racing around your head, just dying to get out, but there is nothing you can do about it? 

That is how I feel at the moment. I want to do so much creatively to my home and to my life, but living in a rental home stops me from doing any of it. I don't know where this motivation is coming from at the moment, but I feel like I need to make the most of it. I just wish I knew how.

Looks at these inspirational pics of peoples art rooms -








A pic from Orangebloom's blog


I know the only way Alex and I will be able to afford our own home any time in the near future is for me to go back to work, but I just can't imagine leaving my babies. Just the thought breaks my heart. 

I feel like I was the one who brought them into this world and it is my job to look after them, not someone else. It is such a tug of war for mothers these days. On one hand you want to provide stability and the necessities and on the other you're the one who wants to be there to teach, to love and to comfort. I just wish I had the answers.

One day I know we will get there, but for now I will make the most of what I have and do the best I can. 

(This post brought to you by the joys of pregnancy hormones)

7 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Love those blues and reds!! I know how you feel, Michelle. I would love a home of my own to decorate and paint the way I would like it....can't do that with a rental. :( I'm sure the day will come when you and Alex DO own a home of your own and then the fun can begin!!

Love,
Mum xo

Rita said...

Kids don't care where you live or how spotless the place is. What they will remember is the love and you being there. You have your priorities straight. :):)

P.S. There are lots of us who rent and can't paint or do exciting things to our homes. Got to get creative with things that are temporary or portable or with colorful accents. ;)

Where the Heart is said...

I know Rita, it's just so frustrating sometimes when you can't even hang a picture on the wall without asking permission. There is just so much I would love to do. My kids will always come first though :)

Serena Lewis said...

There's no doubting that, Michelle....I'm so proud of the wonderful Mum you are! I knew you would be though as you were always so motherly with your brothers and you were like Aaron's second Mum when he came along too. xo

I agree, Rita...Michelle and I utilise the colourful accents a lot being that we're not allowed to paint walls. They are a lot stricter with rentals here...you're supposed to ask permission to just hang a photo. We mostly use the stick-on, easy-to-remove hooks so no holes in the walls so they can't really complain. xo

Where the Heart is said...

Nawww thanks Mum! I try my best, though as you know, every mother still worries if they're doing the right thing or not xo

Yes I always use the removable 3M hooks. They do the job for now and don't leave any holes to fix when you move. I have sent Alex off to Bunnings to get me a peg board for my art room. Hopefully I can organise a few things, and it won't look like such a mess in there.

Mejia Mamma said...

aww I just saw you posted my craft corner pic - thanks! BTW - I rent my house as well... just have to get creative with how you set things up. Most of my craft stuff used to take up our entire dining room! haha... so it took awhile to collect everything that I now have. AND my little corner is actually part of my daughter's room - ugh! Luckily she's not very curious about it! One day I hope to have my very own, dedicated craft ROOM (opposed to just a 'corner')!

Where the Heart is said...

I love you room Mejia! I can't believe you have done so much in a rental. They are so strict in Australia with everything you do to the house, but you have inspired me to get in a give it a go :) Will definitely have to be creative.